Catherine has undertaken expert witness work for over 32 years during which time she has given oral evidence in court and been cross examined in arbitration and high court proceedings on more than 30 occasions. She has given expert advice in over 100 cases involving crude oil and oil products and other commodities, many of which have required assistance on pricing issues or an analysis of the hedging strategies undertaken. These have included:
- Advising a privately owned company on the appropriateness of their crude oil hedging strategy as part of their claim for quantum. As a result of her analysis and detailed but straight forward explanation of the strategy the figure was accepted by the other side and a settlement was reached out of court.
- Assisting in an insurance case involving cocoa beans
- Interpreting and challenging the methodology used by a claimant for determining the assessment of loss in a cargo which was contaminated. This resulted in the claim being settled at 50% of that originally claimed.
- Assisted at a mediation on behalf of a P and I club in assessing the true loss, including allowing for hedging gains.
- Advised on standard industry practice concerning the pricing of a Middle East crude oil which is not traded in the open market.
- Advised a major oil company on the hedging strategy adopted using Dated Brent and CFDs (contract for differences) to challenge quantum, thereby substantially reducing the claim.
- Advised on quantum for a multi million dollar claim for breach of a contract for blending and storing gasoline.
- Advised an insurance company on the influence of quality changes to the value of a cargo of fuel oil and the savings which should have been made from hedging market price movement. As a result the insurance company revised their offer.